Monday, December 1, 2008

homeward bound

It was really hard to say goodbye to the women at Kalighat.
Radha was crying yesterday and I asked a girl who speaks Hindi what she was saying and she translated it, "I'm all alone in the world. I have no one."

It broke my heart. But the girl told me later that the other women were comforting her and saying, "we're all alone in the world too. But we're in here together."

So we painted nails, and massaged arms, and put coconut oil in hair. And Racha sang a song for all of us, and Sanita held my hand and told me to come back to Kalighat. I really love these women. I wish you all knew how amazing they are. Truly. Truly. Amazing women.

I hate saying goodbye.

Last day in Calcutta. Goodbye party tonight. With more goodbyes. and then a 9:30 flight tomorrow morning to Mumbai. A 12 hour layover. a 16 hour flight. a four hour layover. another flight. and then home. which all adds up to 41 hours and 22 minutes of travel time.

I'm going to be INSANE when I get home.

but I'll be home. and that'll be nice. even if crazy. see you all soon.

(I should be landing at 1:20 pm on Wednesday in pdx)

3 comments:

Jacob Aiello said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacob Aiello said...

I meant yay!

"Red" Benjamin said...

I applaud your blogging. And thank you.