Friday, October 17, 2008

Anita walked back over to park street yesterday to see if the man with the stolen pants was o.k. She didn't see him, but she did see a man with no shirt, and she said to herself, "no just keep walking, just keep walking."

This morning at breakfast Father Abello came over to talk to me again. He is a Canadian Catholic father and has lived in Calcutta for something like 36 years. I hate it when he talks to me because it always turns out to be a big political discussion and I always disagree with him and he always makes me angry and then sends me emails regarding the ills of contraception (it makes me so upset that the sisters are so against contraception when India - and everywhere- are having a crisis of overpopulation. I feel really strongly about this. anyways) anyways. anyways. I was trying to avoid eye contact and he was scanning the room looking for Americans so he could come over and tell them not to vote for Obama. But he found me and came over, and I thought, "oh no, not today Father Abello, please, I am talking to the really cute boy with dimples today, and it is a nice morning so far and please don't come over." And I felt like a catholic school kid. Only I'm not catholic and the boy was really cute, and afterwards we joked that we should hide the ballot that just came in from America for one of the volunteers because Father Abello might steam it open and vote for McCain.

And I decided that cute boys would be a good cure for the heartache that isn't going away. Why does it still hurt. I don't want to hurt anymore. And I don't want McCain to win. either. There are more Americans here than last month. Last month I only met two, now there are so many and mostly from the Northwest, which is nice. And we decided to have an "Obama wins" party in a couple of weeks.

The mural is coming along so quickly. I thought that we would still be scraping, but the walls have already been plastered and primed and Verity is drawing on the outline of the mural. I am so impressed by how hard people are working. They are starting at 8:00 in the morning and working until 5, 6:00 every night. This morning we followed her pencil lines with black paint until the wall started to look like a giant coloring book. It's great.

Anita and I are going to the Sunderban tiger reserve on Monday. We will go for two nights (sleeping in a tent) and return on Wednesday. (I have decided not to tell Anita about my claustrophobia and my habit of sleeping with a knife when in a tent. the knife eases my mind. in case I need to cut my way out) The sunderbans are a giant nature reserve - supposed to be comprised of the world's largest river deltas and forest of mangrove trees. It's pretty much a jungle from what I can understand - I wrote about it I think already? I can't remember. Long day.

A woman died at Kalighat today. It is very hard for me. I'm trying not to cry. I don't want to cry. today. I was squatting next to a big basin of water washing the dishes from dinner and they brought her body past me covered in a shroud. They were deciding what to do with her jewelry. I think. I don't know. I just sat there with my hands in the water.

Another woman was brought in today. Her scalp was ripped open and you could see the bone of her skull and in some places you could see her brain. There were worms and maggots crawling around in the open flesh of her head and three nurses were gathered around her with tweezers pulling them out. Somehow she is alive. I don't know how.

I am going to go buy a beer and write. A very hard day for me.

I want to curl up into myself smaller and smaller until I disappear.

And then I want to reappear, because I'm scared of being forgotten, and I want someone to cuddle me and play with my hair and hold my forehead and I want to eat mint chocolate chip ice cream and play soccer in the mud and have drinks with good friends and live forever by a river with a large fur-faced dog and good food and friends and family and someone to love and be loved. And I want french fries.

Don't misunderstand what I write though. I'm o.k.

5 comments:

blythe said...

Let me get this straight; you are going to a tiger reserve in the jungle and sleeping in a tent????

"Red" Benjamin said...

I've been avidly reading your every posting during my lunch hour - if there was a Pulitzer prize for blogs, you'd be peerless. I generally avoid leaving comments on blogs (deep-rooted phobia - long story), but in this case I'll make an exception, considering your Tuesday remark a green light. We all miss you at group. You are brave. Keep on having breathtaking adventures so that the rest of us (who remain too shy to leave our electronic footsteps) may live vicariously. Rock on!

Kate said...

Mum- your comment is very similar to another I received after reporting that a bird pooped on me and a cat peed on my clothes, "let me get this straight, you're having bad encounters with animals and you're going to a tiger reserve?" yes. Yes I am. But it should be fine. Really. I looked into it.

Jeremy! I am so glad you overcame your phobia because your comment meant a lot. Really. Thank you. For the compliments and really just the compliment of reading my randomness. I miss the group too. Wednesday nights were my best nights. Can't wait to see you all again.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to make you a tshirt that says "I use birth control and I'm voting for Obama!" that you can wear the next time you see the Father.

songsofhappy said...

Have you discovered the veggie sandwiches yet? Its up sudder st. just past the post office. Its a little place on the opposite side of the street, and they grill veggies in bread and it taste amazing with salt and pepper. They are real veggies that I ate on a daily basis, maybe even bi daily.. and never got sick from. I like to think the grill took care of all the funk. Anyway, it helps a hard day.

I remember when I was in Kalighat, there was a very similar head injury. She was a woman in her late 20's early 30's. She stayed for a long time, got her strength back and walked out the doors back to her life. I have no idea where she is now, but I know she is ok. And my guess is, with the love and care this woman is getting, she too will walk out the door back to her life. The strength of the women impress me every day, even when I am not in India.