Friday, October 3, 2008

I believe firmly in writing inscriptions and dates in books.

People often say that a certain song relives for them a very specific time and place. That's true for me (and why my ipod is currently breaking my heart). But I think books are the same way, if not even more for me because there's an intenser interaction. I don't know. Just musing today.

Anyways. I've already finished my four books I brought with me. And was thinking with misery what to read next (misery because I finished Love in the Time of Cholera and I wanted it to continue for a hundred more years - apparently of solitude) But as luck would have it, I told Marion from New Zealand what I was reading and she handed me the autobiography of Gabriel Garcia Marquez and said, "here, read this. I need to lighten my pack load before Delhi anyways."

And it has the following inscription:
Life is not what one lived, but what one remembers and how one remembers it in order to recount it.

I think the literal truth is not always the most accurate truth.

Anyways, off to the zoo today.
If the rain, rain goes away and comes again another day.

(p.s. This is the anthem, get your damn hands up... so they can be breezy :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

After three weeks I finally got internet access and was able to read all of your posts.

I feel like you've lived a lifetime since I last checked in.

I miss you. But mostly I am burning up with jealousy at your adventures (though not so much jealousy about the stomach illness).

Love you.

Unknown said...

did you make it to the zoo? did they have any different types of animals that zoos in the us don't have?

Kate said...

I so wish I was in portland with you two! I wish it so badly!