Saturday, November 22, 2008

Darjeeling time limited

Esther just squealed. She has an email notifying her that she has an interview in Hamburg for nursing school when she returns. Two seconds later, I squealed as well, because I have an email notifying me that mum will have my favorite potatoes waiting for me when I return. Which, honestly, is nicer than nursing school.

Another wonderful day at the top of the world. Only Ethan's gone. Our brand new best friend. He left this morning to catch a bus to Kathmandu. Good for him and all, but sad for us. I'm not sure the rest of the tenants of the guest house would agree, but it was good to laugh. And bore holes into the tops of unopenable rum bottles. (our fingers were too cold and ethan's pepper spray wasn't effective at all.) Have I mentioned that it's really really cold here? I sleep in long johns, wool socks, and six thick blankets. And it's still cold.

I love the people you meet while traveling.

It's officially food day. Esther and I have dedicated the day to eating whatever and whenever we want. So I have to go. It's time to eat again. (by the way, we had the best food in the universe last night, and I'm sorry you weren't all here. Umm Thalis at Sonam's Kitchen. But I now know how to make vegetable steamed momo's so, yeah, don't eat until I get home so you have lots of room!)

Calcutta night train leaves tomorrow, with me on it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate-
I am sad that your time in India is almost up. I have enjoyed reading about your daily adventures whenever you deem them important enough to write about them. From your posts I always feel as if I am spying into your own special world. I don't think I've ever read somebody (published or not) who has been so good at that. Thank you for the opportunity.

Anthony

blythe said...

pumpkin pie too???

Kate said...

pumpkin pie too!

Anthony - thank you for the nicest compliment I could have received.