Saturday, November 22, 2008

"oh hello! I've just slipped a note under your door, but it is much better to run into you!"

I'm walking up the steep stone road and come across Joan, our favorite elderly British lady who tells scandalous stories to the women on the trains. She's squatted down next to a small Nepali boy playing cars with him.

"I have to tell you, I have just so enjoyed meeting you two young ladies. You're simply wonderful and look at you, so sparkly! And anyways, I've given you my email and I'd love to keep in touch, but if you don't feel like it, don't bother at all," and she continues on, "and I have to tell you, I've just gotten into the most wonderful fight. I was buying tickets and this man cuts right in front of me! So I say, 'excuse me sir, but I was here, and you're just going to have to wait.' and he says, 'but I'm rich!' so I say to him, 'I don't care if you're god, you're going to have to wait because I was here first and I'm not finished.' and he replies, 'you British don't own India anymore and you never should have been here in the first place,' so I say, 'you're perfectly right about that, but good manners are universal and I was here first.' and then he says, 'but you're a woman.' and I say, 'I don't care what I am, I was here first!' It really was a fantastic fight, but I'm keeping you and you have to go.

So she hugs me and runs off down the hill.

One more plate of momo's, twenty-five deep breaths (to last me through calcutta), and away we go. Last train ride. Through the night, back to Calcutta. With, hopefully, no boob grabs or exploding light bulbs. But one can only hope.

It's strange. But once again, I've found myself missing Calcutta. Oh how I hate it. Oh how I love it.

3 comments:

s.a.r.a.h said...

Kate,
I hope you are getting good and ready to come home because I am definitely ready to have my Sister back. Love you!
-S

Unknown said...

hey Kate, it's Avalon :) i miss you a lot but mostly i wish i could be traveling with you. I'm at dad's until tomorrow and Sarah made really good cheesecake that i just got done eating. i had forgotten that i was 14 until i slipped and said in 10 years i would be 23. i didn't expect this birthday to be different but somehow they all are. oh well, I'm glad you'll be back soon and Sarah told me that if i call you Auntie Kate it has to be in the most annoying high pitched voice i can muster. i wont torture you but prepare yourself for our meeting :)

Have a great rest of your trip!!
-Avalon

Kate said...

Avalon -thanks for the note! You are more than free to call me "Auntie Kate" in an annoyingly high voice - while I'm walking up and down the halls of your school wearing mis-matched clothing, big hair, smeared lipstick on my teeth and saying, "where's my little niece, Avalon? She forgot to change her socks today, so I brought her some clean ones so she won't be too smelly."

sounds like fun, huh?

sister, I would like a cheesecake for my return :) ummmm.

Miss you both!