Sunday, November 9, 2008

short post on sweet things: It was a really nice birthday

We went to the flower market at 5 in the morning and bought loads of marigolds and sunflowers, banana leaves, and bright pink flowers that I don't know the name of. And walking home past new market people kept smiling and asking what the flowers were for. "Puja" we said laughing and then they laughed. Because here, everyday is a puja.

But yesterday was Kate Puja. Which is a great puja (as long as I don't get thrown in a river when all is over). And Katerina told me today that Kate Puja lasts at least three days. So it's a very good puja.

We decorated the courtyard and it looked beautiful! Flowers and palm leaves, candles and red balloons. And the food was soooo good. Heaping plates of samosas and chow mien and then Nico also made salad (he found lettuce. No on has lettuce in Kolkata and he found lettuce! It was amazing and delicious) and potatoes and eggs, and dipping sauces. And Carmel made the most delicious chocolate biscuit cake (how she did this with no oven is beyond me). And all night Nico mixed drinks - mohitos and pineapple rum.

And everyone - the party was so great! It really was. At least 50 people came - in and out throughout the night. And we laughed and danced. Anita and I did our Austrian Folk dance and everyone got a red bindi and a flower crown. And the food and drinks never ran out. And Neev's friend who plays Indian music came and played and sang late into the night, with a strong clear Indian voice that wails and wavers, with us all gathered around by candlelight. Though, he said, he would have preferred to sing showtunes. And kept trying to slip a "Chicago" song into the Indian playlist. And so the Irish sang their songs. And talked their shit. Connor said, about my Indian drum solo, "I'm going to go eat a samosa and chew really loud in hopes that it will drown out your horrible playing." And it was really a great night.

And the pinata. They made a pinata! I told Anita that my mom used to make me a pinata when I was little for every birthday. So I should have been suspicious when she asked and took interest in the explanation of how one makes a pinata. Because somehow, somewhere, Christoph made me a pinata and filled it with candy and hat and sox for Darjeeling (that they embroidered Udurgydurgy on - which is Austrain slang for the lid of a gas can. Which is the name of their culture club. Of which I am an honorary member. And as Christoph says, "whenever you are unsure, just think 'udurgydurgy' and know that everything is well.) He made the pinata in the shape of a light bulb. A bright yellow light bulb (as I am electrokate) and they blindfolded me and spun me round and round. And wet pinatas are difficult to break.

And a new housedress! They bought me a new housedress. It's blue and beautiful and has elephants on it. Perfect for dancing.

And it caught on fire.

Because I knelt in a candle that was by the drink buckets when I was getting a beer for Denise.

"Ach, Denise, I'm on fire!" I shouted and clapped out the flame.

Of course I caught on fire at my birthday. And now my new dress has a new hole, which also looks very nice.

And we sang and ate and danced until 2 or 3 in the morning.

Really. The greatest party ever.

100 million thousand hundred bazillion and one thanks. To everyone. Thanks for the emails and the messages and well wishes because they all made it my way. And it was wonderful.



And P.S. Jeremy, there was an article in the paper today (as every other article is about Obama) and it was how Obama is inspiring the Dalit movement of India (the "untouchable" class) and I just thought your coworkers should know that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yay! that sounds like an amazing celebration of your birth and life. i'm glad that kate puja was (and still is) such a success, although catching on fire does seem a little scary. i can't wait to see photos of everything.

love you!

Unknown said...

THAT SOUNDS AWESOME!! I should go to India to celebrate my birthday next year ;)