Wednesday, November 5, 2008

today my alarm went off at 5 a.m. Why is it going off? I am grumpy. And then I remember. Because Obama might be president. He might be president. even right now. Outside there were fireworks shooting off; loud claps. Could Bush be bombing India (possible), could the Puja still be going on (probable), can Obama really win in America? Could it be possible?

I walked through the dark to the Park Hotel. The Puja of last night was still going on. It was called something like Chaat Puja, with something to do with agriculture. After work at Kalighat we sat on the rooftop last night and watched the thousands of people gathered in the street -dancing in bright sari's with their hands in the air. When we left they pulled us into their circles and we danced and danced and danced. On the streets. With our hands in the air. Anita and I, laughing and dancing with strangers who know how to shake their shoulders in really amazing ways.

We went to a concert at a local studio and listened to traditional Indian music played by men who when they sing close their eyes and tilt their heads back with a look of complete joy on their faces. And they tap bells on their toes in time.

And then we got beers and laughed with the Irish (who got quite drunk) and all the while it was Obama, Obama, Obama - all the conversation, all the background. It was like a pulse. To me.

So I walked through the dark to the Park hotel and watched the people dancing - they were still dancing from last night - all night long they danced and beat their drums. And then there was the hotel, with the American Consulate. And news crews, and interviews, and hundreds of balloons; red, white, and blue. And sandwiches and juice and huge screens playing constant streams of CNN. And at first there were only two states reported and I was nervous. And the room filled up with Americans and Indians and people from all over the world. And when they said that Obama had won Ohio I felt the hair on the top of my head stand up. He just won Ohio.

And then he won won, and I started to cry, and everyone was shouting and cheering and Obama has won. Can you believe it? I really can't believe it. I really can't.

Obama is president. I am too happy to write!

3 comments:

Kristy said...

i'm still so overjoyed that he won! i took the day off work to celebrate!

"Red" Benjamin said...

Was greeted Wednesday morning with groans and grumblings of – “…ignorant idealistic liberals wanting to take my guns away and redistribute…” – from my uber-conservative workplace. Today I stand up and interrupt the gossip circle to say “According to my friend who’s blogging from overseas, the world is rejoicing. Think about that for a moment, gentlemen.”

Kate said...

the world is seriously rejoicing! I've been wearing my Obama button around and people keep stopping me to shake my hand and smile and say "OBAMA!" It's great. so so great.