Friday, September 26, 2008

quick note

I can't type long because there are so many bugs in here trying to eat me! (they come out at night, and in the morning lay on the ground so you stomp on them as you walk!)

Just in case my last post wasn't clear - Varanasi is the most wonderful city. Truly beautiful. Today we watched them carry bodies in funeral procession down to the burning ghat by the river. I saw at least thirty (naughty) monkeys, goats, water buffalo, and got attacked by a bull (so I hit him on the head). We ended up at a Puja ceremony down by the river tonight and men in orange silk performed a ceremony with fire on the banks with hundreds of people looking on. It was surreal and otherworldly. Old worldly.

I really can't write more I have to run (especially because Marion and Shane just made it back with the beer) but I wanted to say I'm going to try to go to Agra tomorrow to see the Taj Mahal. It's a long trip and I don't know when I can write again, but I wanted to let you all know that I'm well (in case my last post wasn't clear!)

Love you all.

2 comments:

blythe said...

Kate I went to Dr Becks yesterday and she and the receptionist asked me simultaneously, "How is Kate?" and I told them about your health but that you were better now. I now have read your last two posts and find that I lied. Please please take care of your health. This is your mom talking.

Kate said...

I love my mum. I'm very lonely for you. Will you write me an email? Full of small details about the dog and the garden and the mountain? I'm trying to take it easy. I upgraded to a nicer car on the train. And I will see the Taj Mahal, mom. The Taj Mahal.